13 March 2011

Texas Green Fireball Meteor ~10:35 CST 12MAR2011

Texas Green Fireball Meteor ~10:35 pm CST 12MAR2011


IF you saw this meteor event please email we need your information about what you saw.  Photos/video also requested.  Thank you!
LunarMeteorite*Hunter@gmail.com
Witness Sightings of 12MAR2011 Texas Meteor
(c) 2011 LunarMeteorite*Hunter / Google Earth 
Blue Meteor 10:35 PM March 12 East of Mesquite TX
About 10:35 last night my family (four of us) witnessed the meteor streaking across the low eastern sky at a slight downward angle. There were very slight clouds that you can see through and the meteor lit up the clouds. It appeared blue to us in the front, with sparkling red, yellow, and orange lights immediately behind the front. This was a very big meteor and was fat, meaning it didn't leave a thin trail but a fat trail. We had just seen Battle LA and thought we were seeing things LOL.
Thanks, Tom Wakefield -Mesquite TX

south Fort Worth, Texas  bright Teal meteor 10:33 AT&T (CST) Time 12MAR2011
I saw it right at 10:33 AT&T (CST) Time, traveling from my perspective, South to North, as I observed from the West. I am in south Fort Worth, and would estimate that it was perhaps between 50-100 miles EAST of my observation point, traveling low enough to appear slowish. It presented as bright Teal with a white tip, and a white streak towards the tail (main body being predominately Teal). I was able to observe for perhaps 2 entire seconds before it was out of visual site. I would guesstimate that it could have traveled as much as 500 miles north of my equivalent latitude, but likely not less than 100. (I am just making layman estimates; I did get a good look at it tho). It definitely went down within this region. - Anon.


Round Rock Texas @ 10:33 pm CST
I saw it clearly over Round Rock Texas @ 10:33 pm exactly headed Northward
Bill Wiemann


Carthage, Texas bluish white streak 10:30pm CST
My wife and I were in our front yard in Carthage, Texas at approximately 10:30pm. It seemed to me to be in the northern sky. It was a bluish white streak that was definitely bigger than a shooting star. It travelled at a downward angle for what seemed like 2-3 seconds and travelled alot further in the sky than a shooting star does too. - Joseph Gentry

Grapevine, TX large fireball 10:22pm
March 12 at approx 10:22 PM I witnessed a green glowing fireball very low and extremely large. It was moving north eastward. I live in Grapevine TX and actually witnessed it while sitting in backyard through the trees and then an open space.  - Anon.


Magnolia , Texas   bullet shape in apearance 1035 PM
We saw the meteor east of Magnolia , Texas approximately 1035 PM on March 12, 2011. It was going due North at a shallow angle. It was  bullet shape in apearance. What a beautiful sight!
Bill Collins


Guest570 (guest) wrote: A green meteor was seen from west Nacogdoches, TX at around 10:35 pm.


Plano, TX   Blue Meteor 10:32pm central time on March 12, 2011

Mar 13 2011, 5:48 PM
Guest824 (guest) wrote: My girlfriend and I saw a metoerite burning in the western sky at approximately 10:32pm central time on March 12, 2011. We were in Plano, TX
We didn't think it was particularly green; it looked more like a sparkler. It was alight for several seconds,and sparked off. It seemed for blue to us.


Mar 13 2011, 10:49 PM
Guest276 (guest) wrote: Denton, Texas

Plano, TX bright blue-green ball
Mar 13 2011, 11:03 PM
Guest589 (guest):While walking our dog Lucy (Plano, TX) we saw a bright blue-green ball with a sparkly orange tail.We were facing east and the object was heading north.

Lantana, TX Green Fireball 10:30 12MAR2011
Did anyone else see that asteroid fly past at 10:30 last night (3/12)? Quite a sight, from Lantana, looking east, it was low in the sky, and appeared to by moving south to north. It was bright green, and I would guess we could see it for about 5 seconds. Very cool.

Weatherford, TX to Ft. Worth at about 10:30p huge glowing fireball 12MAR2011
Lisa wrote: I was traveling east on I-20 from Weatherford to Ft. Worth at about 10:30pm. I saw a huge glowing fireball shoot across the sky at a downward angle from south to north. At first I thought it was a small plane on fire about to crash....so the colors I saw were more orange/red (like fire). Then it just disappeared after about 5-10 seconds. It was WAY bigger than a falling star. I've never seen anything like it. Very amazing sight to see!

Weatherford, Texas heading East on Interstate 20 toward Fort Worth
A friend and I were in Weatherford, Texas heading East on Interstate 20 toward Fort Worth about 10:30pm on Saturday night. It was overcast so we didn't see it clearly but we saw it for several seconds before it disappeared. It had a blueish color and looked round to us viewing it through the clouds. We thought it was possibly a giant spot light flashing through the air from one of the businesses there in town but quickly ruled that out. Then we thought possibly a shooting star but it was huge so that didn't make sense either. A friend of mine in another car a little further down the road described it as a giant fireball. She said she thought a plane was on fire and was heading right toward her and was going to crash into her car. I've never seen a meteor before...so cool!
- Anon


College Station,Texas  light green and was very bright about 10:35 pm, 3/12/2011
Mar 14 2011, 2:25 PM
Guest336 (guest): I witnessed this event -at about 10:35 pm, 3/12/2011. My location is about 11 miles directly east of College Station,Texas. The meteor moved from NNE to NNW, dropping at about a 20 degree angle from the horizontal; the color was a light green and was very bright, one of the brightest I have seen.

College Station, TX - I saw this one on the way from San Marcos back to College Station. It was situated low in the North East sky heading North and down. Very bright, probably the brightest I have ever seen and blue-green with some other color transitions in the beginning and at the end.

Rusk, Tx.
I was in the yard taking long exposure pictures of the night sky when the fireball went by. I managed to get the tail end in one shot but the picture was erased by my wife!!! It was in the Northern sky traveling from the East around a 45• angle down to the West. The last place I saw before it burned out was about 350• N of my house in Rusk Tx. Very bright white, blue, and orange colors, with a long tail. It lasted around 5 seconds.
Hope this helps. -Seth Collins


Plano, Tx
I am located in Plano, Texas, a suburb of Dallas. I was in my car, leaving my apartment complex around 10:30 p.m. I happened to see a round green object shoot through the sky. The "head" was round and a beautiful "electric" green with a fiery tail. It seemed to be zooming across steadily in a northeast direction for about 4-5 seconds before it broke apart into green "sparks". It sort of looked like fireworks going off.
My husband was with me, and he only caught it as it was breaking apart. I asked him what he thought it was, and he said it was either a meteor or a Roman candle (but who would be shooting those off this time of year)?
I think what drew my attention is that It seemed very low, and it was 
a cloudy, breezy evening. There were planes in the vicinity at the 
time, and the meteor seemed lower than the aircraft, yet quite large. 
It was a spectacular thing to witness. I'm glad I saw it. - Anon.


Dallas, TX 
Jeff wrote: A friend and I also saw the ~10:30 PM meteor on March 12, 2011. We were sitting by a fire at Bob Sandlin State Park and it lit up the sky like a search light. It seeemed to be right overhead and was travelling North. I thought I noticed a bluish tint. I've never seen anything like it!
Mabank,TX

Laquita wrote: A group of friends and I saw this around 10:30 in Mabank,TX. We were sitting outside by the fire when it came across the sky. It was traveling South to North and appeared to be about 50 miles away from usto the east. It was teal in color and only lasted a couple of seconds. It was a beautiful site.

Carrollton, Texas 
I was just west of the intersection of Keller Springs Road and Josey Lane in Carrollton, Texas at the time of the sighting. At that location, the direction we were facing was east-northeast. The fireball moved north to south, appearing in the right side of the windshield and quickly, probably within 2 or 3 seconds traversing to the left with maybe a ten degree descent angle from my viewpoint (it appeared to pass right over the spheroid water tower near Newman Smith High School). The color was almost like a Christmas ornament...bright red leading edge glowing the same color and intensity as an emergency road flare. The tail was green with a definite train of particles being left behind. Some particles appeared to have more drag than others as they seemed to sink quicker before losing their incandesence. Initially I thought it was someone setting off fireworks but the time of year was wrong and I heard no sound. And I ruled out a jet having a compressor stall since any airplane moving that fast angularly would either have to be skimming the ground, or going hypersonic at any reasonable altitude. I would have loved to guess what areas it flew over but since I have no altitude information, there's no way I could triangulate its actual path. Luckily your site has a map of all the sightings which does narrow down the groundtrack quite a bit.
Do you think it could have been a magnesium or argon content on the meteor that caused the glow?
Christopher Williams
--------------------
Forney, Texas arrived from google.com on "Latest Worldwide Meteor/Meteorite News: Meteor Catchup 8MAR-11MAR2011 13MAR2011" by searching for texas meteorite march 13, 2011.

Keller, Texas arrived from google.com on "Latest Worldwide Meteor/Meteorite News" by searching for shooting star sightings texas, march 12.
14:20:38 -- 5 minutes ago

Round Rock, Texas arrived from google.com on "Latest Worldwide Meteor/Meteorite News: Alert- Green Fireball Activity Projected to Increase 11MAR-14MAR 2011" by searching for austin green fireball mar 12, 2011.

Arlington, Texas arrived from google.com on "Latest Worldwide Meteor/Meteorite News" by searching for blue ball flying through sky arlington texas.
14:00:06 -- 27 minutes ago

United States arrived from google.com on "Latest Worldwide Meteor/Meteorite News: Fort Worth, Texas Meteor Large Blue Ball Meteor 8:17 CST 6MAR2011" by searching for meteorite fortworth north.

Arlington, Texas arrived from search.yahoo.com on "Latest Worldwide Meteor/Meteorite News: Fireball Over Texas 15FEB09" by searching for meteor report texas.


---  ELP Allsky Inquiries (listed below)  http://elpasoallsky.blogspot.com/

College Station, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Quick Moving Meteor Over El Paso TX 07MAR2011..." by searching for meteor over texas march 2011.

Waco, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Large BC Canada Meteor Fireball Reported to ELPALLSKY 12MAR2011..." by searching for green meteorite march 12,2011.

Argyle, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Mar 12, 2011" by searching for meteor 3/12/2011.
14:20:15 -- 8 minutes ago

Dallas, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky" by searching for green streaks in sky over ft worth.
14:16:31 -- 12 minutes ago

United States arrived from google.com on "elp allsky" by searching for green fireball over north Texas 3/12/11.
14:11:17 -- 17 minutes ago

Dallas, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky" by searching for meteorite Dallas march 12 2011.
14:07:08 -- 22 minutes ago

Fairfield, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Meteor News...California Fireball NOV13, 2010 9pm CST" by searching for meteor blue green with orange tail.

Plano, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Bright Meteor Fireball Captured By ELPALLSKY Sentinel Camera 12MAR2011..." by searching for meteor texas march 12.
14:04:29 -- 25 minutes ago

Arlington, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky" by searching for dallas fireball 2011.
14:03:47 -- 26 minutes ago

Arlington, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Bright Meteor Fireball Captured By ELPALLSKY Sentinel Camera 12MAR2011..." by searching for meteor over texas march 12.
14:00:57 -- 29 minutes ago

Denton, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Mar 12, 2011" by searching for green meteor texas march 12,2011.
13:59:23 -- 31 minutes ago

Round Rock, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Bright Meteor Fireball Captured By ELPALLSKY Sentinel Camera 12MAR2011..." by searching for austin green fireball mar 12, 2011.
13:59:12 -- 31 minutes ago

Lewisville, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Mar 11, 2011" by searching for meteor dallas Texas march 11 2011.
13:56:40 -- 34 minutes ago

Nacogdoches, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Breaking Meteor News...Large, Bright, Green Fireball Over New Mexico, Arizona 08JAN2011 Captured By ELPALLSKY..." by searching for green fireball east texas.
13:55:59 -- 35 minutes ago

Grapevine, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: N TX Fireball 8:17 pm CST 06MAR2011 Captured by Hawley TX Sentinel Camera..." by searching for fireball march 2011 texas.
13:54:14 -- 37 minutes ago

United States arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: N TX Green Fireball Event Indicated By Searches On ELPALLSKY 06MAR2011" by searching for meteor over grapevine march 12 2011.
13:51:57 -- 39 minutes ago

Garland, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: N TX Green Fireball Event Indicated By Searches On ELPALLSKY 06MAR2011" by searching for Dallas green fireball.
13:47:25 -- 44 minutes ago

Argyle, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Mar 12, 2011" by searching for astroid north Texas March 12 2011.
13:46:58 -- 45 minutes ago

Duncanville, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Mar 11, 2011" by searching for meteor over dallas tx march 11 2011.
13:42:59 -- 49 minutes ago

Lake Dallas, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Mar 12, 2011" by searching for meteor 3/12/2011.
13:41:12 -- 51 minutes ago

Garland, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky" by searching for dallas fireball.
13:40:34 -- 52 minutes ago

Plano, Texas arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Meteor News...North Texas Fireball Captured by Sentinel All Sky Camera 21FEB2011" by searching for north texas meteor.


El Paso, Texas Fireball Meteor 4:20 am 12MAR2011

http://elpasoallsky.blogspot.com/2011/03/bright-meteor-fireball-captured-by.html

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw it right at 10:33 AT&T (CST) Time, traveling from my perspective, South to North, as I observed from the West. I am in south Fort Worth, and would estimate that it was perhaps between 50-100 miles EAST of my observation point, traveling low enough to appear slowish. It presented as bright Teal with a white tip, and a white streak towards the tail (main body being predominately Teal). I was able to observe for perhaps 2 entire seconds before it was out of visual site. I would guesstimate that it could have traveled as much as 500 miles north of my equivalent latitude, but likely not less than 100. (I am just making layman estimates; I did get a good look at it tho). It definitely went down within this region.

Lisa said...

I was traveling east on I-20 from Weatherford to Ft. Worth at about 10:30pm. I saw a huge glowing fireball shoot across the sky at a downward angle from south to north. At first I thought it was a small plane on fire about to crash....so the colors I saw were more orange/red (like fire). Then it just disappeared after about 5-10 seconds. It was WAY bigger than a falling star. I've never seen anything like it. Very amazing sight to see!

Anonymous said...

A friend and I were in Weatherford, Texas heading East on Interstate 20 toward Fort Worth about 10:30pm on Saturday night. It was overcast so we didn't see it clearly but we saw it for several seconds before it disappeared. It had a blueish color and looked round to us viewing it through the clouds. We thought it was possibly a giant spot light flashing through the air from one of the businesses there in town but quickly ruled that out. Then we thought possibly a shooting star but it was huge so that didn't make sense either. A friend of mine in another car a little further down the road described it as a giant fireball. She said she thought a plane was on fire and was heading right toward her and was going to crash into her car. I've never seen a meteor before...so cool!

Jeff - Dallas, TX said...

A friend and I also saw the ~10:30 PM meteor on March 12, 2011. We were sitting by a fire at Bob Sandlin State Park and it lit up the sky like a search light. It seeemed to be right overhead and was travelling North. I thought I noticed a bluish tint. I've never seen anything like it!

Unknown said...

A group of friends and I saw this around 10:30 in Mabank,TX. We were sitting outside by the fire when it came across the sky. It was traveling South to North and appeared to be about 50 miles away from usto the east. It was teal in color and only lasted a couple of seconds. It was a beautiful site.

Anonymous said...

I am located in Plano, Texas, a suburb of Dallas. I was in my car, leaving my apartment complex around 10:30 p.m. I happened to see a round green object shoot through the sky. The "head" was round and a beautiful "electric" green with a fiery tail. It seemed to be zooming across steadily in a northeast direction for about 4-5 seconds before it broke apart into green "sparks". It sort of looked like fireworks going off.

My husband was with me, and he only caught it as it was breaking apart. I asked him what he thought it was, and he said it was either a meteor or a Roman candle (but who would be shooting those off this time of year)?

I think what drew my attention is that It seemed very low, and it was
a cloudy, breezy evening. There were planes in the vicinity at the
time, and the meteor seemed lower than the aircraft, yet quite large.
It was a spectacular thing to witness. I'm glad I saw it.

Unknown said...

Hi, I often go fossil hunting around the Lame Arlington area and I believe i have found 2 pieces of meteorite. Can you help me where I can find out more about my finds. The larger on is about a lb. But definitely has surface vetrification on it . the second is quite a bit smaller but has green and yellow metallic ore luster.